Sunday, March 22, 2015

Changing Times

Goodbye winter!  I had to laugh as I watched spring roll in after an entire day of slow, steady snow last Friday.  This winter wasn't as brutal and violent as last year, with crushed bones and several trips to the ER, but it was long and cruel.  January blew in with a breast cancer diagnosis and out with one less boob.

February greeted me with tumors in random places that forced my Hopkins doctors to come up with yet more creative treatment plans.  I had a left side tumor in the soft tissue that holds my abdominal organs together that grew under the radar into a rather large monster.  And I had a small right side tumor that was tiny but very painful, close to the surface of the skin, also in the soft tissue.  Dr. Hong performed a cryoablation to the left side monster at the end of February.

March greeted me with uncontrolled pain and swelling after that ablation -- the first time I've had trouble after any of my 11 ablations.  It wasn't a complication of the procedure, it was a complication of me.  I have pretty bad scoliosis and the monster tumor just happened to be in the area where my crooked back was the most crooked.  There was no place for the expected inflammation from the ablation to go and it shocked my abdominal organs into, well, not working.  I eventually ended up in the hospital for a few days of tests and fluids, which got things working again, but I still have a lot of pain in my left hip.  It feels like someone dropped me on the floor, hip first, while I was under sedation in the OR.  Dr. Hong assured me that this did not happen, but who knows what really goes on in those ORs?  On Grey's Anatomy they all just gossip and don't really pay much attention till the patient is coding.  But I believe Dr. Hong.  He would have noticed if someone threw me on the floor.

Last Thursday Dr. Hales gave me a strong dose of radiation to the small pea sized right side tumor, and by the time I got off the table, the pain in that spot was gone.  I'm now free to roam about the cabin till the end of June, when I will have another PET/CT and find out what this crazy, unpredictable cancer has in store for me next.  I'm hoping for a long period of stable lung tumors and no more random tumors outside my organs, where they don't belong!

April will keep me busy preparing for my big move to Pittsburgh.  The date has been set for April 30th and I'm very excited.  Mary found a super great apartment for me in a swanky complex where I'll have covered parking (for the 9 months of snow) and a beautiful view of the Allegheny River and downtown Pittsburgh.

Because of the timing of my move, I will not be able to attend the Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma Research Foundation (ACCRF) survivor events this April in Boston.  I will miss meeting other survivors and caregivers and the research update from the Executive Director of the Foundation, Jeffrey Kaufman.  The organizers decided to go green this year for the fundraising portion of the events.  Instead of their usual fundraising efforts and silent auction, ACCRF is holding a stay-at-home, cyber fundraiser to reach more people in an effort to further their research in finding a cure for this insidious disease.  Rather than me telling you how horribly disfiguring and awful ACC is, I'm just going to ask that you trust me on this.  ACC usually attacks glands in the head and neck and most people suffer tremendously from its slow, cruel assaults.  The more ACC survivors I meet, the more amazed I am at what the human body can endure.  Please consider supporting this effort, and me:  www.accrf.org.  



In the meantime, I thank you all for your continued support over these long 14 years.  Here's wishing you a wonderful spring, full of health and happiness.  Come and visit me sometime in Pittsburgh!

Kathy

CANcer + HEALth = CAN HEAL

3 comments:

  1. I'm new to writing a blog, and i admire your openess. I find it hard to just think about my experiences sometimes. I found your blog through the acc facebook page. I also have acc. it always strike me when people casually meantion the number of mets they have, but that's part of the disease. it's a constant balance between treating the cancer and protecting your health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everyone Here,
    My Name is Elizabeth Knox, I'm from UK and I was once a Vaginal Cancer patent.
    Until one day I watched Dr Itua Herbal Remedy on TV Channel on how he uses Herbal medicines to cure all kind of disease, I was very inst rested on his herbal remedy because I was very sick at that moment and I was diagnosed of Brain Tumor and Vaginal Cancer. I took the risk to take his treatment after watching his documentary,
    I contacted him on Email and explain my situation to him, he kindly told me how it works also how I can purchase his herbal product which I did.
    A week later the herbal medicines was ship to me through courier service, I drank his herbal medicines for three weeks and I was healed, cured from Brain Tumor/Vaginal Cancer.
    It was so marvelous even my friends with Breast/Prostate Cancer also contacted this Dr Itua for herbal product and they are all cured as well with Dr Itua Herbal Medicines, I do not how many Sick people are here today or whom are not yet read this. I pray god should let you see this to know there is a wellness for you. He guaranties me that he can cure the listed diseases below______Bladder cancer,Brain cancer,Hiv,Herpes,
    Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma
    Intestinal cancer,Breast Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Brain Tumor,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Tach Diseases,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Adrenal cancer.Bile duct cancer,Bone cancer  ,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Hepatitis A,B/C,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer
    Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma  Infectious mononucleosis. Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer
    Dr Itua Herbal Center Contact,Email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or WhatsApp:+2348149277967

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some natural remedies that can be used in the prevention and eliminate diabetes totally. However, the single most important aspect of a diabetes control plan is adopting a wholesome life style Inner Peace, Nutritious and Healthy Diet, and Regular Physical Exercise. A state of inner peace and self-contentment is essential to enjoying a good physical health and over all well-being. The inner peace and self contentment is a just a state of mind.People with diabetes diseases often use complementary and alternative medicine. I diagnosed diabetes in 2013. Was at work feeling unusually tired and sleepy. I borrowed a glucometer from a co-worker and tested at 760. Went immediately to my doctor and he gave me prescription like: Insulin ,Sulfonamides, but I could not get the cure rather to reduce the pain and brink back the pain again. I found a woman testimony name Comfort online how Dr Akhigbe cure her HIV  and I also contacted the doctor and after I took his medication as instructed, I am now completely free from diabetes by doctor Akhigbe herbal medicine.So diabetes patients reading this testimony to contact his email     drrealakhigbe@gmail.com   or his Number   +2348142454860   He also use his herbal herbs to diseases like:SPIDER BITE, SCHIZOPHRENIA, LUPUS,EXTERNAL INFECTION, COMMON COLD, JOINT PAIN, BODY PAIN, EPILEPSY,STROKE,TUBERCULOSIS ,STOMACH DISEASE. ECZEMA, PROGERIA, EATING DISORDER, LOWER RESPIRATORY INFECTION, MALARIA, BACTERIA DIARRHEA, DENGUE FEVER, HERPATITIS A&B, RABIES DIABETICS,HERPES,HIV/AIDS, ;ALS,  CANCER , BREAST INFECTION, MENINGITIS,HEPATITIS A AND B, THYROID, ASTHMA, HEART DISEASE, CHRONIC DISEASE. AUTISM, NAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEA,KIDNEY DISEASE, WEAK ERECTION. EYE TWITCHING PAINFUL OR IRREGULAR MENSTRUATION.Dr Akhigbe is a good man and he heal any body that come to him. here is email    drrealakhigbe@gmail.com    and his Number +2349010754824

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have a Google email account and you don't know which "profile" to choose, select the Anonymous option. If you'd like your name to appear, you may sign your comment. Thank you!