Saturday, March 5, 2011

Didn't Expect That Detour

Life in Transplant World can be such an adventure.  While trying to manage recovery, GVHD, the viruses and infections that can pop up at anytime, some random thing can smack you right in the gut.  And it did.  The day after I wrote the last post, a Monday, I went in for a treatment for the CMV virus.  Having received two of the three required negative test results to stamp down this beast, I was hopeful that the new GVHD flare up wouldn't re-ignite the virus and that this would be my last treatment.  During the five hour infusion, I developed stomach pain that got worse as the day went on.  I was so sick by the time I left, I was given two choices:  get an IV of anti-nausea medication to get me home so that I could take pain killers, or go to the ER.  I elected option one.  That was a mistake.  I made it 2/3 of the way home and had to pull over.  If Dave and Betty hadn't retrieved me from the Parkway, I would probably still be there.  I was sick on and off the next day, and by Wednesday morning, I had pretty much collapsed.  Again, Betty came to my rescue and drove me to the ER.

[For those TMI (too much information) readers, you may want to skip this next part.]  A CT scan of my belly showed that I had a small bowel obstruction that was unrelated to the transplant.  It takes a lot to render me speechless, but that sure did.  A what?  How?  Apparently, this is a standard risk of any abdominal surgery.  No one knows how scar tissue will be formed, and sometimes part of the bowel adheres to the scar tissue causing it to twist.  It can happen years later.  One doctor told me that his 75 year old father had a small bowel obstruction from a surgery that he had when he was 17.  I've had one open and two laparoscopic abdominal surgeries, and one of them probably caused the obstruction.  But on Day 100, when I was supposed to be celebrating milestones in my recovery?  At least it explained why I had been having such bad stomach pain whenever I ate for the last two months. 

I was admitted to the hospital and told that inserting a nasogastric (NG) tube usually does the trick.  It's everything its name implies and extremely uncomfortable.  If that didn't work, they would have to operate, which would then create more scar tissue, increasing the risk of this happening again (not to mention the risks associated with very low blood counts and a compromised immune system).  I was in the hospital for four days, unable to eat or drink.  Thankfully, the terrible NG tube worked and the pain and obstruction are gone.  I'm very happy to be able to eat again, especially since I now weigh 88 pounds.  (I'm eating as much as I can, but the steroids work against me.)  Mary dropped everything and drove from Pittsburgh to help me through this ordeal, as she always does when I'm having a crisis.  I honestly don't know what I would do without her. 

This was certainly an unexpected turn of events that surprised everyone, and I must say, led to some of the most terrible moments of this entire process.  But it's over, hopefully not to be repeated.  As predicted, the increased steroids to treat the second round of GVHD have turned my muscles to mush and lowered my counts.  Also predicted, this brought back the CMV virus, for which I am still being treated.  I feel like I'm swimming upstream, but I have to focus on the passage of time.  I am 110 days old, and my new immune system is learning its way around its new home.  In terms of the transplant, my doctors say that I'm doing great.  I had my twelfth bone marrow biopsy, and I should get the final results in about a week.  Thankfully, this was the last planned biopsy, so my poor hips can finally heal from all those corkscrew invasions.  I'm slowly coming off the steroids, which will allow my body to heal itself from viruses and bring my counts back up.  Although I thought that March was to be my month to gain weight and build my body back, it looks like it might be April.  As long as I get there, I'll be happy and grateful.

I've been to a couple of support groups this week, and again, I'm reminded that there are those that have endured much worse complications than mine.  I really do see a light at the end of this tunnel, and when I finally see the sun (well, I'll have to wear a lot of sun block), I'm busting back into life!

Kathy

CANcer + HEALth = CAN HEAL

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't have a Google email account and you don't know which "profile" to choose, select the Anonymous option. If you'd like your name to appear, you may sign your comment. Thank you!